Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Dino Prepping - at the Museum

 In 2010 I completed my 2 week training course at the AAOD Museum, which gave me the title of Honorary Technician, so I can come back anytime and work in the Lab preparing bones for display and research.  So back I went in 2012.

Since my last visit the AAOD site has expanded greatly. We now have a great Reception Center situated some 500 mtrs along a walk from the Lab.

(L - The new Reception Center)



(R - The Lab where I spent most of my time working on bone preparation - some of the tourists waiting for the hourly tours)









(L - Inside the Lab we have all these jackets of "bones" packed in silverfoil, newspaper and then plaster. Waiting for someone to work on the delicate task of removing the rock from the bone - estimated that there is some 25 years of work waiting here!!)








(R - Here I am hard at work on a bone from a long necked dinosaur - yet to be published in a scientific journal)


(L - Here is the Lab - we have 10 stations which can be worked at the same time - AAOD claims it to be the largest and fastest dinosaur lab in the southern Hemisphere)
 (R - I was sent out to feed the animals, but I wondered why they didn't give me a bucket of food!!! Actually this is a statue of "Banjo" the dinosaur believed to be the main killer one that left his footprints behind in the dinosaur stampede at Lark Quarry


(L - Actually Banjo was a great help in cleaning up the Reception Center and took his share with the mop and bucket!!)











No comments: