Thursday, May 27, 2010

Entertaiment at Carnarvon (the Airport)

My work hours are "about 9-5" Carnarvon time!!! I found this out when the truck that I had been provided with broek down and I was given lifts to and from work each day.

(Left - the airport grounds entrance)

Whilst I had been told to be ready at 8.30am in the mornings, I could be picked up anytime in the next hour!! Depending on how keen my driver was to get out of bed. So that was "Carnarvon time" - when we get there - we have arrived!!

(Right - this mural on the terminal wall is quite comprehensive in the depiction of the town of Carnarvon)

Also without any vehicles at weekends I was severely limited in where I could go to for sightseeing. Actually I thought that the condition of the vehicle was such that I wouldn't have been game to go far out of town, as whilst my mobile phone worked in town, I wouldn't have been game to go too far out of town as the reception would drop off immediateley!

(Left - the OTC dish is quite visible from the airport)

So after walking round town a few times, and visiting the beach and the one mile jetty, about the only thing left was the airport.

(Right - the dialy flight arrives from Perth)

This is actually located within walking distance of the town center - so I decided to visit to see the activity. The problem is that there is only one plane each day, so I had to pick that, and went out to see the arrival and departure of the daily flight to Geraldton and Perth.

(Left - the airport has two terminals - an old one and a newer one built with some Government subsidy - but the aircraft still parks nearest the old one!!)

The airline is AirWest and they use Fokker Friendship aircraft. So here are some pictures of my day's entertainment!!!

(Right - the highlight was this - no airbridges here, so the passenger needing assistance is loaded onto a pallet, with enclosed sides and then lifted on a forklift into the rear door of the aircraft!!)

(Left - then the regular passengers are allowed to board)

No comments: