Thursday, May 27, 2010

Out in the Boondocks

The Mungullah Community lease two station properties. I believe that this was to try to maintain some connection with their original tribal situations and/or conditions.

(Right - this track is evidence of the local feral goat population - which sometimes can be useful in harvesting for goat meat -
unfortunately that market goes up and down!)
The two leases are some couple of hours inland from Carnarvon. I
did not expect that I would get to see them - for two reasons - the first being that I did not have a vehicle which I felt could be reliable enough to make the trip out and back (actually I was quite right on this count, as the chaps would borrow it when they had to take a work party out to one of the stations, and on one such trip it broke down. Fortunately they were in a group with 2 vehicles so were able to tow it back - however that ended my usage as they couldn't afford to have it repaired!!), and secondly I figured that there would not be any signposts to mark the way!! And I was right on that count too, as the day I went out, my driver, who has been out many times got "lost" a couple of times!!

One day the local Sheriff told me that he was driving out for a meeting with the chap who runs the Gilroyd lease property, and would I like to go for the ride. Naturally I said yes. This was the last Friday I was at Mungullah, as I finished up the following week.
The Sheriff loves the country out here and occasionally goes out camping. Nearby there is a lot of work being done in building a new gas pipe line for the WA Government, and occasionally one comes across magnificent leveled roads and very wide as they need to have sufficient truck width and then that is multiplied by three to place road shoulders sufficient IF they get the possible rain storms!! Of course one also comes across some of the giant road building plant.












No comments: