Saturday, July 17, 2010

Road Laying - Cusco Style

I was last in Peru in 2008, but found that a lot of construction seems to have occurred since then. To me Cusco is almost like a continually pouring concrete stream. When last there I saw buildings started, but stopped, and two years later some of those buildings are still incomplete.

(Left - the roadway is prepared and levelled)

(Right - the gang of workers hand mixing the concrete - the wooden containers provde the measures)

(Left - the workers around the cement mixer which is removed every night)

(Right - the wooden measures for the mix)

A road however had appeared in fron of the volunteer house, so when I saw them starting to work on a nearby road, I watched the progress with interest. As appears normal in Peru it was all done by hand - I guess that this uses the greatest number of people, and helps provide money to a alrger work force - bear in mind that there appears to be little social security in Peru - so if you don't work, you go hungry!!

(Left - a worker wheels another barrow to the site)

(Right - drums of water and raod mix are on hand)

Anyway here are some shots that I took. The workers were quite happy for me to film them, and even beckoned me closer in some cases.

(Left - it is a good size mixer being used)

(Right - pouring and levelling is all done by hand)




(Left - the area is levelled in blocks)

(Right - note the chap on the left of the photo - he squats on a board suspended over the previously laid concrete slab)


(Left - another barrow load is tipped on to the area)

(Right - more barrows follow)





(Left - I think this is the hardest part - squatting on the plank which is barely resting above the previous slab)

(Right - the completed and smoothed section)


(Right - a close up of the mix)




(Above - here is the action)

(Left - this worker stands in the mix - and no gumboots)

(Right - the next section of road has its formwork laid and prepared)

No comments: