Sunday, July 17, 2011

Thailand - Sydney to Chiang Mai

Our trip began with an early evening flight out of Sydney with Emirates - but our plane was an hour late due to head winds across from New Zealand. We had a Boeing 777ER, and the flight to Bangkok was scheduled to take 8 1/2 hours - but they made up half an hour on the way, so we arrived early - at 1.45am!!!!! But to give it a bit more perspective that is 4.45am Sydney time - not quite as bad!!!!

(Right - the lights of Bangkok)

So I had to while away the time until my next flight at 7.45am. I had difficulty finding any comfortable chairs, so settled as best I could next to one of the exits!! The Bangkok airport is HUGE - from my original arrival gate, I walked around 800 meters to the first intersection, and then another 800 meters until I found somewhere to prop for several hours. I managed to doze in little stretches.

(L & R - Some of the long concourses at Bangkok airport)

I finally stirred about 5am local time and made the journey to the Chiang Mai connection desk. Here I cleared immigration, and then was able to enter a witing lounge where they had more comfortable chairs. I found a McDonalds and was able to get a cup of coffee, which helped me until we finally were called to board. We had to go out by bus, and the driver gave us a tour of the airport - as it seems that he was given the wrong location of our aircraft, which was a B747, and we had to climb all these stairs to get aboard. I was glad that I didn't have heavy hand luggage - wheels don't help at a time like this!!

(L - Exterior view of one of the airport concourses)

(R - Taking off over Bangkok)

Again I had a window, and we were served a packed lunch in a cardboard box. Actually not too bad considering that the flight was just 1 hour!!

We came in over Chiang Mai, and I found it a surprise to see all the rice fields. Emirates has an arrangement whereby they transfer the luggage to Thai Airways, and I was happy to see it emerge on the belt. Customs was easy, and they just wanted to x-ray the case, so that was that.

(L - The approach over Chiang Mai and all the rice fields)

A local cab drove me in to town, and I had my first currency error. The set fare was Baht 120 (which is about Aus$4). I decided the tip the driver, but gave him a B50 note instead of the planned B20 - still that was an error of Au$2 or so - so not too bad)

(R - Arrival at Chiang Mai International Airport)

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Yay, Michael. You're adventure begins!